This hearty model of conventional sloppy joes has a tidy serving to of sleep-aiding dietary fibre, due to its payload of smoky lentils. Swapping out the doughy bun for candy bell pepper ups the dietary ante and visible enchantment. It’s additionally excellent as leftovers.
Smoke and hearth
Chipotle peppers are ripened crimson jalapeno chiles which have been smoked and dried. In shops, they’re usually bought in a wealthy, smoky flavoured adobo sauce. They add fiery, advanced flavour to sauces used for pasta dishes, tacos, and any model of sloppy joes.
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) dried inexperienced or black lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown rice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grapeseed oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced eggplant
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 4 crimson bell peppers, halved and cored
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped parsley
In giant saucepan, place lentils, brown rice, and 5 cups (1.25 L) of water. Convey to a boil, cut back warmth, and simmer till each lentils and rice are tender, about half-hour. Drain nicely.
In the meantime, in giant skillet, warmth oil over medium warmth. Add onion and eggplant, and cook dinner till softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and garlic; cook dinner for two minutes. Place tomato paste, chipotle pepper, mustard powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in pan, and warmth for 1 minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir balsamic vinegar into sauce. Stir lentils and rice into combination, and warmth for five minutes.
On microwave-safe dish, place pepper halves, minimize sides up, cowl with paper towel, and microwave on excessive for five minutes, or till tender.
Stuff peppers with lentil combination and garnish with parsley.
- sat. fats1 g
- sugars19 g
- fibre22 g